November 21, 2014
Share this Article:
This article looks at some of the optimal white-hat link-earning practices that can boost your referral traffic in the short-term and significantly improve your rankings in the long-run.
But before going into too much detail, let’s look at the fundamental features that help you climb the search engine results pages (SERPs):
1. A well-designed and technically sound site
2. Onsite SEO
3. Unique, engaging and informative content
4. A credible backlink profile
Link-earning or link-building is the process that helps you achieve number four. When third-party sites provide a dofollow link* to your site, Google considers this a vote of confidence. Backlinks from a variety of sources therefore help establish your credibility and authority in the search engine’s eyes. This is measured by domain authority out of 100.
Good-quality and prominent sites will earn backlinks naturally, but they can be actively sought after via link earning. This involves contacting link prospects and giving them a good reason to link to your site: perhaps you have a piece of content their visitors would be interested in?
Directory submissions were once an easy way to build links, but they are no longer valuable. Google considers the quality of your links and does not reward ‘spammy’ link-earning practices.
Check out our list of optimal link-earning tactics below, which will help improve the quality of referral traffic and boost your backlink profile to benefit SERP positioning.
*Google only takes dofollow links into consideration. Links marked nofollow by the webmaster are ignored by search engine robots, but they can still be beneficial in terms of referral traffic and PR.
The main goal is acquiring high-quality backlinks and establishing relationships with link prospects.
1. Outreach specialists perform research to identify high-quality link prospects relevant to the client and project. Search operators can help narrow the shortlist to sites that have previously accepted guest posts, increasing the chance of successful link acquisition.
2. Outreach specialist performs a backlink assessment, which analyses link prospects based on:
3. Once optimal link prospects have been identified, the outreach specialist sends a concise, customised email pitching the project and client collaboration.
4. An SEO copywriter writes a high-quality guest post tailored to the host site, making sure to include a natural link to the client.
Acquire high-quality backlinks through research, competitive analysis and a PR-oriented approach.
1. An SEO identifies the competitors outranking the client for key terms.
2. SEO software is used to identify the quality of each competitors’ backlink profile, with the following details taken into consideration:
a) Domain authority
d) Anchor text use
3. An outreach specialist contacts the webmasters hosting quality links for competitors with a project proposal.
4. Content is created in accordance with editorial guidelines and client’s needs.
Attract quality organic traffic to your site, and gain natural backlinks.
*For a more natural link profile, a variety of anchor text must be used on- and offsite. Find more information here.
Develop relationships with influencers and earn high-quality backlinks.
1. The outreach specialises uses media databases such as Gorkana and Vocus PR to identify influencers relevant to the client.
2. Outreach specialist contacts the influencer with a relevant project proposal.
3. Copywriter produces high-quality content according to host site’s editorial guidelines, and featuring a natural link pointing to the client’s site.
Increase social media engagement to boost reach of shared content and benefit PR. Social media links are typically nofollow so there is rarely a direct influence on domain authority.
To improve the URL structure of a website and harness untapped link equity.
Seeking more suggestions concerning white-hat link-earning practices? Do not hesitate to contact us.
From powerful brand propositions, customer-centric experiences or creative search campaigns, our proven approach overcomes obstacles and delivers commercial success.
We work fast and break norms by applying innovation, intelligence and creativity to everything we do. We look for people who share our passion and ambition.
Interested in finding out more about how we deliver outstanding results? Speak to our experts today.